Here are some of my favorite tips, tricks, and tools that have helped me keep up with my goals for maintaining happy healthy habits in 2021.
As we approach a new year, there are often many feelings about “starting fresh” with our health. It’s a great time to reevaluate what we have been doing, and what we want to change. Here are some of the things that have helped me maintain my healthy habits in the past, and that I hope will help me maintain happy healthy habits in 2021.
- YouTube workouts/virtual workouts. There are so many different workouts to try that are offered for free on YouTube or other channels. Right now, I’m a fan of Yoga with Adrienne on YouTube and Boss Family Workouts on Instagram (and YouTube!). There are also several places locally that have offered classes online and I have tried a few. This is a fun way to try a new workout and get some movement in without having to leave your house.
- Meal prepping/planning for the week. This has made such a huge difference in my energy levels during the week. Having ready-made meals that are healthy and delicious for breakfast and lunch during the week makes life so much easier. Also, the nutrition in these meals keeps me going during the day and I feel better prepared for the week.
- Meal prepping for busy times ahead. You can plan all you want, but you will inevitably reach dinner time one night and you’ll be exhausted and will realize that you have no food in the fridge. But guess what? You will thank yourself, because you prepped ahead for this and made a few freezer meals for times like these. This list from Pinch of Yum has some fantastic pressure cooker/slow cooker freezer meals that you can drop it the cooker at a moment’s notice. I also like to have a pan of frozen lasagna or enchiladas, or a chicken pot pie ready to be popped in the oven for busy nights.
- Room for treats. I like dessert. No, wait. I love dessert. I’m not going to cut it out completely, unless I absolutely have to. If there is something that you like that isn’t quite as healthy as you’d like, then try to have it in moderation. You can also make slightly healthier versions of your favorite treats, like these homemade peanut butter cups. It’s all about balance!
- Patience. Have patience with yourself. Some days, you will forget to meal prep and will end up having to grab a random food from the fridge for breakfast that might not make you feel as great or energized as the yogurt parfait that you normally prepare would have. And that’s okay! No one is perfect and practicing patience and kindness with ourselves is so important!
What do you do to help yourself reach your health goals and maintain healthy habits?